Friday, December 28, 2007

blood as far as the eye can see

I don't have a problem with blood, I can totally handle it.  It sucks when I bleed but it is worse when a baby bleeds, they aren't supposed to bleed.  It was horrible the first time Savannah bled.  I was clipping her thumb nail and I had the clippers just right.  I clipped down as Savannah jerked her hand and I nipped her.  It was horrible.  I felt like the worst mother in the world.  There were tears from both of us.  Savannah cried from the pain while I cried that I hurt my baby.

The latest and greatest episodes of blood happened more recently.  Savannah bumped her bottom lip this last Wednesday and it caused a little boo boo but no blood shed.  Thursday she busted that boo boo right open while playing at my feet under the computer desk.  I had no idea because she didn't cry.  All of a sudden she comes out and there is blood all over her face and hands.  I cleaned her up and she was totally fine except for her pitiful looking lip.




Friday Savannah had her nine month check-up.  The doctor had to have blood drawn from her little thumb to check her iron level.  After the trauma was over the nurse put a cotton ball on her thumb and secured it with a bandage.  Savannah is like every baby in that she has to put every thing in her mouth.  On the way to the car she bit off a piece of the cotton but I was too late, she swallowed it.  GREAT!?!?!  On our way home I had to get some baby food so we stopped at Harmons.  I got into the back of the car to get her out only to find Savannah spit up the cotton, took the bandage off, and there is blood everywhere.  She got it on her face, hands, clothes, brand new white shoes, car seat, and up both legs to her knees and the blood was still flowing.  I scrambled to get a new band aide on her (the last one in my diaper bag) and wiped up as much blood off as I could.  We got in the store only to find she already got the new band aide off.  Come on!!!  I rushed around the store to find the band aides, ripped open the box (the waterproof kind) and got it on her little thumb.  She worked on the new bandage while I picked out the organic baby food and made our way over for a visit in the flower department with cousin Melissa.  We headed for the checkout when I noticed that while I was being rung up the band aide was gone.  She must have dropped it.  We get out to the car only for me to notice that she had something in her mouth.  Savannah almost had the band aide swallowed.  I caught it in the nick of time.  AHHHHHHH!  Screw another band aide!  She bled until we got home which wasn't soon enough! 

3 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

oh no this sounds awful!! I hope it wasn't too too freaky!

Molly said...

Oh that is way too funny. I'm sure it was absolutely traumatizing for you. Who knew a prick on a baby's finger would bleed that much??

Veeda said...

HEY! I didn't know you had a blog. Or that you were living in UTAH!

Oh my gosh, your baby is soooo cute. and I can totally related to the traumatizing baby stories. I cried and cried too the first time I cut Mei's nails and cut too close.

I'm so glad I found you.