Thursday, July 10, 2008

Changing the care of pits

So, in my attempt to take better care of my body I have gotten rid of my antiperspirant deodorant chalk full of aluminum that is just dying to cause me cancer.  My pits have gone organic but for how long??!?!!?!  Ok, not organic as in no pit protection at all, I am saying just plain deodorant.

I started with just one application in the morning.  When I would come home I would be so smelly.  At least my pits aren't as wet from perspiration as with my antiperspirant version of deodorant.  So, I upped it to applying twice: once in the morning after showering and once at my break.  I still come home smelly.  On the up side, I am dry.  If I can smell myself then I smell to others and I hate being smelly.  Oh Lord, why do I have to stink so badly?

I don't know which I would prefer, smelling a little or having dry pits.  It is so hard to decide!

9 comments:

Molly said...

Do you shave your pits every day? I have heard that the smell is actually the poop of the bacteria (since bacteria grows in warm, moist places). Not sure if that's true or not, but here's my theory. If you shave every day, you shave off the bacteria, and the cause of the smell. Likewise, I've heard that you can wipe with rubbing alcohol to kill the bacteria. I have no idea if that works, but give it a try. I really don't wear deodorant very much--mostly just when I run or when I think I'm going to be almost-sweating all day. Mostly I just forget to wear it, but I almost never smell. But I shave my pits every day and I think that might have to do with it.

LJ, DC and ML said...

I had heard that the aluminum deal was not causing cancer, is it causing cancer again? Good grief, who can keep up?

cAsSy said...

Molly is so right! The alcohol can burn but I have a friend that has chronic stinky and wet pits. She uses these tricks and she doesn't eat certain veggies because it can make it worse. If you have tried your smoothie thing you should research some of the stuff in it and see if that stuff will make your pits worse.

The chances of cancer in your pits is slim so I I were you I'd go back to what I was using before.

Jenni said...

This is interesting to me because it's a switch I've contemplated making. I've always thought that going off anti-perspirant would make you more wet, though. I will admit, though, that I don't always wear deodeo and I don't really smell much. I know Amy Catale's opinion on the matter. She's says you're gonna die sometime and the risk of armpit cancer is not worth being smelly.

Veronica said...

I don't shave everyday. My pits are really sensitive and when I shave too frequently I get a rash and breakout. I also have had rashes from using some deodorant brands. One brand did the opposite and made me chafe; it was like I was peeling from a sunburn. I will try the alcohol and my mom mentioned an antibiotic ointment that one of her co-workers uses so I will try that too. I will let you know if it works.

I hadn't heard aluminum doesn't cause cancer so I assumed it still does. Either way I want none of it, it isn't good for you. Metal particles, particularly aluminum, settle in the brain (that is why cooking with aluminum pots and pans is especially bad) and there is a theory that aluminum it causes Alzheimer's so if you take a heavy metal cleanse all that stuff is cleaned out. I forget the name but there was a doctor who was diagnosed but he did a metal cleanse and no longer had the disease. Now that I think of it I am pretty sure I heard it last summer when bought some cookware from Kitchen Craft.

I thought that going off antiperspirant would make me more wet too but I had the opposite reaction same as when on the antiperspirant I was constantly wet.

Dianna said...

Well, I have this stuff called Hexahydrate. It's a prescription that I use once a week and I don't get super wet under my arms! It's quite nice. And when I use it every week, deodorant works just fine for the smell. It's basically just a solution of aluminum chloride and ethyl alcohol. Alcohol kills the bacteria, and the aluminum chloride dries me up.

Deann H said...

Try a deodorant stone. Cheaper, lasts forever, and it works. Use it for a week or so to get the full effect, but it does work! Yay for natural bath and body products! LOL ;)

And you don't have to worry about cancer in your pits, it's the garbage in it spreading through your body that's causing harm to you and future children. :)

cAsSy said...

I talked to a pharmacist at the hospital today and he said cancer causing agents were taken out of the deodorant and that the certain sticks were taken off the shelves. I also talked to a Dr. who specializes in Oncology and said that there is no such additive anymore. Where did you hear your info?

Veronica said...

Same place everyone heard that aluminum was bad. I hadn't heard anything had changed. Either way, doing something more natural for your body is better and I am on a mission to find what is best for me.